Men are less likely to focus on their overall health than women are. While they ignore their general well-being, some men also ignore their dental health which may disappoint or even embarrass their significant other. One reason that men tend to avoid doctors and dentists is because they follow the “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” mentality – even if that is the worst idea possible!
Dental care on a regular basis can:
- Extend the life of your teeth
- Contribute to better health
- Improve the quality of life
- Improve your sex life
Men tend to only visit a dentist when they are experiencing pain, after a problem has surfaced. Since many men put off their dental care, statistics show that on average, men will have lost five teeth by the time they reach the age of 70. In addition to losing teeth, due to avoiding dental check-ups, men have an increased risk of developing:
- Gum disease
- Oral cancer
For Men, Old Habits Die Hard
While it is true that replacing unhealthy habits with new habits is hard and will take time, it is possible. The hardest part of developing new habits is starting! Replacing your old habits and establishing new habits doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact, improving your oral health can just take a few minutes a day but offer years of benefits. Click here to learn about three diseases that are caused by poor oral hygiene.
Men should follow these tips for improving their oral health and having a healthy mouth:
- Brush teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time. Remember, there are no shortcuts if you want a healthier, more stunning smile that no longer embarrasses your significant other.
- Floss every day, each time you brush. When you floss your teeth, you get rid of food that is stuck in your teeth and extra plaque that has built up. Flossing is great because it can decrease your risk of tooth loss, cavities, and gum disease.
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year, if not more. Our professional and efficient cosmetic dentists can provide you with a complete checkup that can include screenings and thorough cleanings which will remove stubborn tartar and plaque that you just can’t get with your toothbrush and floss. Your mouth depends on regular maintenance (just like your car) to avoid serious and costly problems.
- Avoid smoking or using any type of tobacco! This is not only bad for your health but it is very unhealthy for your mouth. Our dentists take your health seriously at Dr. Patty’s Dental Boutique & Spa in Fort Lauderdale. We want you to know that oral cancers are mostly seen on men who smoke or chew tobacco and women with HPV. We know that it is hard to quit and if you do use tobacco, be sure to visit us every three months for oral cancer screenings and regular cleanings.
- Men tend to be on more medications than women, especially for blood pressure issues. These medications can cause dry mouth and other side effects that can impact your oral health. With dry mouth, you will have less saliva. Saliva is needed to replenish minerals to your teeth and fight against cavities. We may be able to recommend certain oral rinses if you suffer from this issue. Let our cosmetic dentists know that you are experiencing side effects from your medications so that we can give you tips and tricks to fight your dry mouth and maintain good oral health.
Men Love our Dental Boutique & Spa!
It is time to man up if you want to live a long life and keep all of your teeth! Taking care of your mouth and teeth strongly impacts the rest of your body. The professionals that you will meet at our dental boutique & spa in South Florida are ready to help you get your oral health back on track. We offer many services and procedures that can help you get the look that you want when you smile while also offering specials on massages and facials so that you can get the full body experience. Your significant other will be impressed and no longer disappointed in your appearance (or your breath) when you are near them! Give us a call today for a complimentary consultation.